How can people get involved in Students of Fire?
- Join IAWF
- Get information from the Students of Fire tab on the IAWF website
- Make contact with the IAWF and they will put you in contact with other Students of Fire
- Form a Students of Fire group with interested peers (if you can, but don’t let that be a block to commencing activities)
The central idea is to encourage people involved in wildfire to become curious about fire behaviour, to improve their knowledge of fire behaviour and fire management in all of its aspects – we feel it is important not to be prescriptive about this. (For example, “I am a wildfire instructor, a prescribed fire specialist and a trainee FBAN and am also actively interested in the human factors associated with fire operations – individual and team performance, communications, decision-making etc. I have also begun to realise the value of stories – this could also be an activity for a SoF group i.e. collect stories that have a ‘fire lesson’ of some sort.”)
It is important to encourage membership of IAWF, and to report on the groups activities (maybe publish stories collected) via IAWF, the Student of Fire supporters and sponsors. We ares giving the project international coverage and vital patronage.
Some ideas for activities:
- Start a Fire Journal, or visual diary. This could be used to record SoF activities, or be a personal record of reflections about experience in fire management.
- Think of a fire project to pursue. E.g How can fireline communications be improved? How can a newly formed crew quickly develop trust and cohesion? What is known of extreme fire behaviour in the region?
- Arrange an event with a speaker with advanced knowledge of an aspect of fire or fire management.
- Start a Student of Fire poster wall in a strategic location with interesting papers, articles, photos, stories.
- Create a Students of Fire Board.
- Report to IAWF on your activities. exec[email protected]
If you would like to learn more about how to start your own Students of Fire Chapter please contact us via email or phone (01) (406)531-8264