THE APPLICATION PERIOD IS NOW OPEN. Please complete the form below.
We would like to invite you to participate, either as a mentor or mentee, in our Mentoring Program.
What is mentoring?
The first mentioning of the word “mentor” goes back to an ancient Greek story about a young child called Telemachus who grew under the supervision of an old trusted friend of his father’s named Mentor. Since then, the name of this character started being used as a common term for “trusted tutor”.
Today, we use the word “mentor” for anyone who makes a positive, guiding influence on another person’s life. ‘Mentoring’ is the process of direct transfer of experience and knowledge from one person to another.
The IAWF will have an open period for applications two times per year. After the applications are received and reviewed, we will match the mentors and mentees based on interests and geographic location. IAWF encourages both face to face mentoring and online remote mentoring, depending on the location of the participants. Both parties will need to mutually commit to six months. We will provide you with resources, i.e. checklists, agreements, suggestions, etc.
What makes a good mentor?
- Commitment to the mentee’s learning and project goals.
- Ability to provide positive feedback, encouragement, and advice when requested.
- Interest in seeing and supporting the mentee’s growth and success in their professional or personal goals.
- Ability to ask key questions to support the mentee to develop their problem-solving and creative thinking skills, and to be resilient and independent.
- Ability to establish clear expectations and commitments, to express these to the mentee, and to ask for the same.
- Generosity with tools and approaches that support others to learn
- Willingness to share key contacts and networks with the mentee, and to source other areas of expertise when required.
Please complete the form to show your expression of interest either as a mentor or mentee.
If you have any questions please contact Mikel Robinson