3rd Human Dimensions of Wildland Fire Conference
"Shared Responsibility: Research, Management, and Communities"
April 17-19, 2012 ~ Hilton Hotel ~ Seattle, Washington, USA
The Call for Papers for the 3rd Human Dimensions of Wildland Fire Conference is now closed.
- Provide a forum for sharing what has been learned about the diverse social elements of wildland fire management
- Discuss how this knowledge can be used and expanded upon by land managers, fire managers and public leaders to effectively achieve their assignments and goals
- Identify knowledge gaps and opportunities for innovation and development
- Explore ways for fire scientists and fire science users to expand collaborations and develop and test new knowledge
To achieve these objectives the conference will use a variety of means to share information including individual oral and poster presentations, special sessions and plenty of networking opportunities.
Submission of Proposals
Abstracts will be accepted for the following sessions:
- Oral Presentation (Indiviudal presentation to the entire audience or concurrent session, to be determined by the program committee.)
- Poster Presentation (Presenters will be expected to attend their posters at designated times during the conference.)
- Special Session (A session with one common topic or theme, where each person presents a separate presentation related to the common topic, one right after the other. Typically, the person who proposes the special session includes the abstracts for all of the papers on the Special Session at the time of the original submission.)
Abstracts should be limited to 350 words or less (25 to 30 typed lines; font size 12pt). Abstracts should be written in non-technical language and with an emphasis on management implications of the work. All presenters are required to register for the conference.
Contributed Oral and Poster papers may cover a variety of topics, including but not limited to the list below.
NOTE: If you do not see a topic that fits your proposal, please do not let that stop you from submitting, you may select "other".
- Communications within Organization
- Communications with Communities
- Economics, Legal and Policy
- Community preparedness/resilience/adaptive capacity
- Mitigating Fire Risk on Public Lands
- Mitigating Fire Risk on Private Lands
- Disseminating and Applying Science
- High Reliability Organizing/Organizational Learning/Culture
- Sensemaking and Decision Making
- Crew Dynamics
- Risk and Uncertainty
All submission must be submitted via the online abstract system, click here to submit an abstract.
Award for Best Student Poster
Awards will be given to the Best Student Poster at the 3rd Human Dimensions of Wildland Fire Conference. The first authors of the two best posters will be awarded a certificate and a cash prize of $250 each. They will also be recognized on the IAWF webpage, included in write-ups in our Wildfire magazine publication and other venues.
Two awards will be given at the conference:
1. People’s Choice Award
Throughout the week conference participants will be able to vote on the poster they believe to be the best student poster.
2. Judge’s Poster Award
The conference organizers will evaluate each student’s poster and select the best based on excellence, reflected in the academic content, presentation and defense quality of the poster presentation.
The awards will be presented to the winners at the closing ceremony on Thursday Afternoon.
In the event there is more than one author, the award will be given to the first author of the poster, who must be currently enrolled as a student.
3rd Human Dimensions of Wildland Fire ~ April 17-19, 2012 Seattle, Washington, USA