4th Fire Behavior and Fuels Conference
At the Crossroads: Looking Toward the Future in a Changing Environment
Raleigh, North Carolina, USA
February 18 -22, 2013
St. Petersburg, Russia
July 1 - 4, 2013
IAWF Green Initiatives
Each year, nearly 80 million people around the world attend a meeting, conference, or convention. Globally, the meetings industry generates about $US280 billion in annual profits. Despite the positive economic contribution, meetings extract a high environmental cost. They consume large quantities of water and energy and produce copious amounts of waste water, garbage, and emissions.
The International Association of Wildland Fire (IAWF) is committed to minimizing the environmental impact of its conferences and meeting through:
- Reducing the amount of solid waste produced by the event;
- Reducing energy and water consumption at the event;
- Minimizing or off-setting harmful emissions resulting from vehicular transportation and energy consumption associated with the event;
- Disposing of solid and liquid waste in an environmentally responsible manner;
- Selecting facilities who have developed a sustainability policy;
- Buying environmentally aware products; and
- Educating participants and exhibitors.
We invite our conference participants and vendors to join us in this goal of incorporating environmentally responsible procedures and practices and in the use of environmentally responsible products while participating in this conference. Working together, we can make this a successful 'Green' event. Please remind yourself and help others to remember to reduce, reuse, and recycle!
The Raleigh Convention Center is committed to having the most environmentally efficient Convention Center in the nation. Their recent LEED Silver Certification shows that from safe cleaning products to optimized HVAC systems to water-use reduction, going green is critical to being a responsible member of a community, and we’re all members of the global community, after all.